Baked Apples with Membrillo and Dates
6 large baking apples
50g membrillo, chopped
4 large, fresh dates, stoned and chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6.
2. Core the apples.
3. Mix the raisins, membrillo and dates; the latter two ingredients are quite sticky so the mixture should mash easily together.
4. Stuff each apple with as much filling as it can hold - use the handle of a teaspoon to tamp it down.
5. Make a cut in the skin around the centre of each apple.
6. Place in a buttered dish, and top each apple with a large knob of butter.
7. Drizzle the sherry over the apples and sprinkle with 1-2 tbsp sugar.
8. Bake for 50 minutes until the apples are soft and glazed.
9. Serve with whipped cream.
© Recipe copyright 2009 Clarissa Hyman
Author: Clarissa Hyman Email: