Lentil and Anchovy Salad
500g small, green-grey lentils
500g tomatoes, skinned and seeded
100g olives (pitted, if wished)
12 anchovy fillets
25g fresh parsley, chopped
For the dressing:
50ml olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
Half a tablespoon mustard
1. Rinse the lentils in cold water and place in a saucepan. Cover with about twice the volume of salted water, add the onion and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until tender.
2. Turn into a colander and rinse the lentils and onions briefly under the cold water tap. Drain well.
3. Turn the lentils into a serving dish and mix with the tomatoes, olives, and parsley.
4. Just before serving, dilute the mustard and a little salt with the lemon juice and whisk in the olive oil until the dressing thickens.
5. Gently toss the salad with the dressing and decorate with the anchovies arranged in a criss-cross pattern (silvery side upwards).
© Recipe copyright 2009 Clarissa Hyman
Author: Clarissa Hyman Email: