Spinach and Lemon Risotto
Fresh clean lemon flavours blended with lightly cooked spinach and bound together with a soft and creamy risotto make this a delicious but simple kitchen staple. If wanted, a handful of seafood such as prawns, mussels, scallops or calamari can add a change. The best risottos are made with good fresh stock and with constant stirring of the rice and stock; there are no short cuts. But in total this risotto will only take you 30 minutes which is not long for such a delicious result!
Fran’s latest book is New Bistro (Mitchell Beazley).
1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed and chopped
300g Arborio or carnaroli rice
500g spinach, washed and roughly chopped
1 unwaxed lemon zested and juiced
freshly ground black pepper
125g grated Parmesan
1. Heat the stock in a saucepan to a gentle simmer.
2. Melt half the butter and olive oil in a saucepan, add the shallots and garlic, sauté for 3 minutes on a low heat, do not brown.
3. Add the rice and mix well, coating the grains thoroughly with the butter and oil. Add enough stock to just cover the rice and stir continuously, as the rice absorbs the stock add more and repeat, this part takes about 15 minutes.
4. Before you add the last of the stock, stir in the chopped spinach, lemon rind, juice, seasoning and the last of the stock. Return to the heat and stir well until it just comes to a simmer and the spinach collapses, remove from the heat.
5. Add the Parmesan, mix and leave to stand for 2 minutes before serve.
© Recipe copyright 2009 Fran Warde
Author: Fran Warde Email: