Steamed Stuffed Tofu
By: Sri OwenThis is a very delicious tofu dish, suitable for a main course vegetarian lunch or supper. It's good with mashed potatoes or boiled new potatoes, or equally delicious with plain boiled rice or rice noodles. If you serve this as a vegetarian main course, just with a salad, start the meal with a hearty noodle soup, or end the meal with your own favourite pudding or fruit pie.
Serves 4 as a starter or 2 as a main course
2 squares of fresh Chinese-style tofu
4 spring onions, cut into fine julienne strips
2 tablespoons fine julienne strips of fresh ginger
2 tablespoons vegetable or groundnut oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons dry-roasted cashew nuts, roughly chopped
For the stuffing:
120 g/4 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced into strips, and sautéed in 2
tbsp butter or vegetable oil for 2 minutes
2 tablespoons finely chopped spring onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
1 tablespoon dark soya sauce
Salt and pepper or cayenne pepper
White of one egg
For the salad:
2-4 plum tomatoes, peeled and quartered
Handful of watercress, trimmed
1/2 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
For the dressing:
3 tablespoons light soya sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon caster sugar
2 small bird chillies, finely chopped or crushed
1 clove garlic, crushed
1. Cut each square of tofu into 4 smaller squares. Set these 8 squares aside. They will later be sandwiched together with the stuffing in the middle.
2. Put all the ingredients for the stuffing into a bowl, adding the egg white last. Then mix the stuffing well with a fork until all the ingredients are well combined.
3. With a teaspoon, put equal quantities of the stuffing on four of the tofu slices. Spread the stuffing evenly with a knife, then put the other slice of tofu on top. Put all 4 tofu sandwiches in a high sided plate side by side. Tightly cover the bowl with cling film. Refrigerate.
4. When ready to serve, remove cling film, then steam the stuffed tofu for 4-5 minutes, either in a steamer or on an upturned plate at the bottom of a covered large saucepan with a little water. After 4 minutes turn off the heat, keep the tofu warm still on its plate in the saucepan.
5. Combine the dressing and the salad in a bowl, and divide them onto 4 or 2 individual dinner plates. Put a piece or two pieces of stuffed tofu on each plate. Put equal amounts of julienned spring onions and ginger on each of the pieces of stuffed tofu, and pour over them any leftover salad dressing.
6. Heat the two oils together in a small saucepan. When the oil is hot, pour it evenly over the spring onions and ginger. Sprinkle the chopped cashew nuts over the top and serve immediately.
© Recipe copyright 2003 Sri Owen