The objectives of the Guild, as set out in its Constitution, are as follows:
- To bring together professional food writers
- To produce a regular Directory of Members
- To extend the range of members' knowledge and experience by arranging discussions, forums, comparative tastings and visits
- To encourage the development of new writers by every means, including competitions and awards
- To contribute to the growth of public interest in, and knowledge of the subject of food
- To campaign for improvements in the quality of food
Guild Food Policy
We are an independent body that aims to:
- contribute to the growth of public debate about, interest in and knowledge of, food and
- campaign for improvements in the quality of food produced and consumed.
Therefore the Guild's Policy currently extends to such issues as:
- pressing for the introduction of practical food skills into the national curriculum and of healthy meals into schools and other public institutions; and
- working for food labeling that protects the consumer's right to choose.
And in the field of food writing:
- encouraging members to strive to achieve the highest professional standards, to respect the implications of copyright infringement and plagiarism, and abide by all of the Guild’s other stringent ethical guidelines.
- to protect the rights and further the interests of our members by:
- pressing for improved terms and conditions from those who commission work, including the retention of copyright by writers;
- striving to negotiate minimum terms with major commissioning bodies; and
- endeavouring to legitimize and make transparent the process of ghosting.